Suicide PreventionThe toolkit for suicide prevention is available at: http://www.newhealth.govt.nz/toolkits/suicideprevention.htm
Here are links to our take on suicide prevention
- Griffiths, F. (1999). Implementing guidelines for suicide prevention and intervention in NZ schools. New Zealand Association of Counsellors Conference, September 3, New Zealand Association of Counsellors, Hamilton, NZ.
- Webb, S.B. (2000). Youth suicide in New Zealand. New Zealand Association of Counsellors Annual Conference, August, Christchurch, NZ.
- Webb, S.B. (2000). The young people at risk of suicide project. Staff professional development, October 25, Massey University College of Education, Palmerston North, NZ.
- Griffiths, F.//Webb, S. B. (2002). Young people at risk of suicide national project. February 12, Ministry of Education Health Educators' Conference, Auckland College of Education, Auckland, NZ.
- Fergusson DM, Woodward LJ, Horwood LJ. Risk factors and life processes associated with the onset of suicidal behaviour during adolescence and early adulthood. Psychological Medicine, 2000; 30: 23-39.
- Suicide Rates in New Zealand: Exploring Associations with Social and Economic Factors.
Stuart Ferguson, Dr. Tony Blakely, Bridget Allan, Dr. Sunny Collings, August 2003
- A guide for schools, young people at risk of suicide
- IPRC No: RP129 Title: Young people's experience of recovery and well-being following a suicide attempt. Social Work Now 2002; 23:15-22 Authors: Coggan C, Bennett S Topics: Youth Suicide, Youth Suicide Prevention, Date: 2002
- IPRC No: TD14 Title: The Risk and Resistance Project: Explorations of Pakeha/New Zealand young people's suicidal behaviours. PhD Thesis. University of Auckland. Authors: Bennett S Topics: Suicide, Violence, Youth Risk-Taking, Youth Suicide, Youth Suicide Prevention, Date: 2003
- Statistics: Suicide and public hospital admissions for attempted suicide, 1996: available at http://www2.auckland.ac.nz/ipc/pdf/fs24.pdf
- Coupe, N. ‘Mäori Suicide in Aotearoa New Zealand, a Coronial Investigation’. Suicide Prevention Conference, Melbourne. Australia, April, 2000.
- Coupe, N., Coggan, C.2, Tiatia, J.2, Bennett, S.2 ‘A Suicide Prevention Partnership in Aotearoa/New Zealand’. Suicide Prevention Conference, Melbourne, Australia, April, 2000.
- Coupe, N. ‘Mäori Attempted Suicide Case Control Study Methodology’. Presented at Hui a Tau, Dunedin, Otago.
- Coupe, N. (2001). Maori suicide prevention in New Zealand. Pacific Health Dialog, 7 (1), 25-28.
- IPRC No: TD18 Title: Reasons to live: Samoan young people's responses to suicidal behaviour
- Canterbury Suicide Project http://www.chmeds.ac.nz/research/suicide/index.htm
- Christchurch Health and Development Study VERY GOOD SITE!!! http://www.chmeds.ac.nz/research/chds/research.htm New research points to key factors in youth suicide.
For further information contact: Professor David Fergusson, Christchurch Health and Development Study , Christchurch School of Medicine & Health Sciences, University of Otago, Phone (03) 372 0406, email@example.com
- NZHTA Report 4 - Youth suicide prevention by primary healthcare professionals - A critical appraisal of the literature (October 1998). [html] [word7 (305 KB)] [PDF (2376 KB)].
- NZHTA Report 5 - Adolescent therapeutic day programmes and community-based programmes for serious mental illness and serious drug and alcohol problems - A critical appraisal of the literature (July 1998). [html] [word7 (159 KB)] [ PDF (1224 KB)]
- Click here to download suicide prevention evidence tables [pdf format] (14 topics). What clinical features best determine insulin resistance? NZHTA Evidence Tables 2002, December. [word7 (79 KB)] [PDF 445 KB)]
From Women's Health Action publications
- The health of a new generation - Youth 2000 - WHU Apr 2003
- Youth Suicide
Previous page: Nutrition